Paubox Outbound Gateway is a solution designed to integrate with email services, allowing users to send encrypted emails in compliance with regulations like HIPAA. When integrating with Google Workspace (formerly known as G Suite), Paubox provides a seamless way to ensure that emails sent from your Google Workspace account are fully encrypted.
Here’s a detailed step-by-step guide for setting up the Paubox outbound gateway with Google Workspace. This process involves configuring your Google Workspace account and your Domain’s DNS settings to work with Paubox.
What Do You Need Before Setup?
Before setting up Google Workspace with Paubox, you will need three things.
- Domain name (learn how to setup domain on Google Workspace)
- Paubox trial or paid account
- Google Workspace subscription
During Paubox signup, you will get an outbound gateway value which we will later use. Keep reading.
1. Update Your Domain Records
In order to send Google Workspace encrypted emails through Paubox, you will need to first set up your domain records.
Before you proceed further, make sure that you do not have any TXT record that has “v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com -all” Value in it. If you have one, modify it with “v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com include:_spf.paubox.com -all“.
If you do not have such a TXT record, follow the guide.
1. Go to your Domain control panel and click the “Manage” button.
2. Now go to Domain settings and click on DNS to add a new address.
3. Now, click the “Add New Record” button and select the record type as “TXT” as shown below.
4. Finally, start adding the following TXT records
|TXT||@||v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com include:_spf.paubox.com -all|
That is it, you are partially done with end-to-end encryption. Now let’s move further and make some changes in our Google Workspace Admin console.
2. Modify Gmail Settings in Google Workspace Admin Console
Now you need to modify some settings on Google Workspace Gmail, to make Paubox work.
- Visit, the Google Workspace Admin console and then go to App (on the left side menu) and then finally click Gmail
- Now, on this Gmail settings page, scroll down to Routing look for Outbound Gateway, and add the value provided by the Paubox during your signup.
- Saves settings and you are done.
3. Add Emails to your Paubox Account
To ensure HIPAA compliance you need to add all email addresses that will be used for sending secure emails.
1. Go to your Paubox account using your username and password.
2. Now in the left side menu bar, go to Encrypted Emails – Encrypted Senders – Add Single Sender options and start adding all required Google Workspace existing emails that you want to send through Paubox in a more secure manner.
3. Finally, that is it. However, if you want to send a test email, send it from your Google Workspace Gmail account to email@example.com or any non-Gmail service with the subject “Test“. If it successfully passes, go to your Paubox account – Outbound – Statistics and check if it shows a green bar. The green bar represents the number of encrypted emails sent through the Paubox server. Here is an example.
Why Paubox Encryption?
Integrating Paubox with Google Workspace offers a robust and seamless solution for businesses prioritizing secure and compliant email communication. With Paubox’s encrypted email suite, organizations can leverage the productivity tools of Google Workspace while ensuring HIPAA compliance and enhanced email security.
Paubox’s innovative approach ensures that emails are always sent securely, even when a secure connection with the recipient’s server cannot be established, setting it apart from the basic encryption capabilities of Google Workspace. This integration not only elevates the standard of email security but also simplifies the process.
In essence, by choosing Paubox alongside Google Workspace, organizations can achieve the perfect balance of productivity and protection, ensuring that their communications are not just efficient, but also secure and compliant with industry standards.